Summertime in Alaska is filled with long, bright days. On average, in Juneau, a typical day in the summer months has 18 hours of full light and temperatures sit at a perfect 60 to 65 degrees. If you’re looking for the best things to do in Juneau to fully soak up all of those extra hours of sunlight, we’ve got you covered. Whale watching tours, float plane rides soaring over glaciers, and dog sled excursions are just the beginning of the adventures on a vacation here!
Many of the best things to do in Juneau are in downtown or just outside the city. Our boutique hotel is right in the heart of downtown Juneau, minutes from fantastic dining, breweries, hikes, art galleries, and most importantly the dock area where the majority of tours arrive and depart. At the Silverbow Inn and Suites we’re always more than happy to help guests navigate through the abundance of activities to choose from on a visit to Juneau.
While on your stay with us, you’ll get a candid look at what this one-of-a-kind city has to offer. From the minute you arrive to Juneau, you’ll be in awe of the location nestled between vast mountain peaks and bright icy blue water. Our boutique hotel is welcoming and warm. We’re are family-owned and operated with a goal of creating connections with our guests for a lasting impression. We hope you’ll return again and again. Book your stay with us today!
Check out these Amazing Things to do in Juneau This Summer
There are so many things to do in Juneau, especially in summer! Depending on how much time you have for your getaway it can be tricky to decide what to include. Here’s a great selection of activities and tours to add to your itinerary and most are near downtown Juneau, so you can pack in the adventures.
Check out these 10 things to do in Juneau on your vacation this summer:
- Only 12 miles from downtown Juneau, the Mendenhall Glacier is one of the most popular natural attractions to see on your time in Alaska. Spend a day exploring one of the many hikes of all varying lengths and difficulty through the Tongass National Forest.
- Glacier Bay National Park spans 3.3 million acres in Southeast Alaska. It’s a classic Alaskan landscape with glaciers, native plant and wildlife, and waterways. It’s only accessible by boat or plane, which makes this one of the most unique things to do in Juneau this summer.
- One of the most spectacular excursions out of Juneau is a trip to the Taku Glacier Lodge with Wings Airways. Take a memorable scenic float plane ride, enjoy a full Alaskan salmon bake lunch or dinner at the 1920s lodge, and explore the beauty of deepest and thickest glacier in the Juneau Icefield.
- The Mount Roberts Tramway takes guests up 1,800 feet to the top of Mount Roberts for a day of adventure on miles of hiking trails, a nature center for educational exhibits, a Raptor rescue, and destination restaurant high above the clouds.
- Whale Watching Tours is always one of the best things to do in Juneau. Alaska Sea to Shore is a family-run local company and it’s a great way to see these majestic marine mammals in their natural habitat.
- An excursion to the Tracy Arm Fjord is not one you’ll forget anytime soon and is definitely one of the best things to do in Juneau. The ideal way to visit this vast and pristine glacier area is by small tour boat, this way you can get an up-close and personal look at the twin Sawyer Glaciers as ice calves into the water.
- In Bocca al Lupo, our neighboring restaurant was recently voted as “The Best Pizza in Alaska” by Food & Wine. We couldn’t agree more! On your stay with us, we guarantee you’ll thoroughly enjoy a meal (or two) from this delightful Italian spot.
- For a truly memorable adventure for the whole family, you’ll want to book the Sled Dog Summer Camp with True Alaskan Tours. Experience being pulled by a team of Alaskan Huskies and visit the dog camp where these beautiful animals reside.
- On your stay with us, one of the best things to do in Juneau is pop right down the block to taste locally crafted spirits from the Amalga Distillery. (The Juneauper Gin is an all time favorite!) If craft beer is more your speed, Devil’s Club Brewing is a great spot for a house brewed ale, best enjoyed in the modern bar space.
- Zip Lining through the Alaskan rain forest should be on everyone’s itinerary on a trip to Juneau. Kawanti Adventures on Douglas Island has a route with five different lines and a suspension bridge, plus awesome guides who really want you to enjoy your time in the tree tops.
The Best Family-Friendly Lodging in Downtown Juneau
Over the past year we’ve come to realize just how important time is with family and friends. Our downtown Juneau hotel is a perfect space for loved ones to come together for an amazing adventure in Southeast Alaska. The configuration of our guest suites are ideal for families traveling together, many rooms offer full kitchens and have an urban apartment feel with all the amenities needed for a comfortable stay.
If you’re traveling in a group of six, Room 210 is a spacious one-bedroom, open concept loft suite. There’s a full service kitchen and even a dining table that can seat up to 10! It’s the perfect way to bond with your loved ones on a trip to Juneau. Also, you can’t beat the magnificent view of the Gastineau Channel and Mt. Jumbo from the large windows in the living room area. Staying with us is one of the best things to do in Juneau, hands down.