If you’ve ever wanted to take one of the exciting Juneau helicopter tours offered in the area, this summer might just be the perfect opportunity. With many attractions and businesses in Juneau closed down due to the pandemic, we recognize that travel to Juneau may not be at the forefront of your mind right now. However, there are still a number of Juneau’s top attractions open, like the famed Mendenhall Glacier. Many Juneau helicopter tours are open and operating, too.
While you’re visiting Juneau, make sure to stay at our #1-rated Juneau Hotel, which is located in the heart of downtown Juneau and within walking distance to local restaurants, breweries, shops, hiking trails, and more. This summer provides a unique opportunity for native Alaskans to explore their state without the traditional crowds of summer, too!
Whether you plan to join us for the summer of 2020 or are looking further ahead to your adventures in Alaska next year, there’s no better place to stay than our downtown Juneau hotel. Book your room with us today!
6 Great Juneau Helicopter Tours to Consider
Seeing Alaska by air is one of the most spectacular ways to get a true appreciation for the vast wilderness of this state. The city of Juneau, of course, is no exception. We’re surrounded by the Tongass National Forest, and home to famous attractions like the Mendenhall Glacier, which is just one of many glaciers in the 1,500 square miles of the Juneau Icefield. Juneau Helicopter Tours offer you an unprecedented view of these things.
But the views aren’t all you’ll enjoy on Juneau Helicopter Tours. Most local companies offering these tours offer you the opportunity to walk on glaciers, like the famous Mendenhall Glacier, experience dog sledding, view wildlife, and so much more. There are multiple companies offering these Juneau Helicopter Tours, including Temsco Helicopters Inc., Coastal Helicopters, and NorthStar Helicopters.
Here are just a few of the exciting opportunities awaiting you in Juneau:
- The Mendenhall Glacier and Guided Walk Tour gives you an unprecedented chance to actually walk on the famous Mendenhall Glacier. As you fly over Juneau, you’ll enjoy views of lush green rainforests, alpine ridges, glacier valleys, and a birds-eye view of the awe-inspiring blue glacier ice, deep crevasses, and spectacular icefalls, along with the jagged peaks of the Mendenhall Towers.
- The Pilot’s Choice helicopter tour by Temsco Helicopters gives your pilot the freedom to show you the best of Juneau. Your pilot will choose 2 out of the possible 36 glaciers to show you up close, with landing opportunities included on the Herbert, Taku, Norris, Gilkey, Hole in the Wall, or the famous Mendenhall Glacier. This tour gives you much more time in the air, which means more time to appreciate the stunning beauty of the forest and glaciers below.
- Have you ever wanted to go dog sledding*? These Juneau Helicopter Tours can easily make your dream a reality! Not only will you enjoy the bird’s eye view of the lush Tongass Rainforest, mountain peaks, and the breathtaking Mendenhall Glacier below, but you’ll soon hold the reins on a dog-sledding adventure. You can also combine this fun activity with a separate glacier landing on Herbert Glacier.
- Enjoy the trip of a lifetime on a Glacier Photography Expedition with Juneau’s own Mark Kelley on Mendenhall Glacier. You’ll leave with a deep appreciation for this area, beautiful photographs of your own, and keepsake photographs taken by Mark Kelley himself, who has famously been photographing Mendenhall Glacier and Juneau’s wilderness for more than 40 years.
- Take a Helicopter Glacier Trek, a rugged hike through the beautiful, hidden world of Juneau’s Icefield. It’s a 4.25-hour trip that you won’t soon forget!
- Enjoy Alaska by Air, Water, and Ice on the Taku Glacier Helicopter & Airboat Adventure. You’ll be flown to Taku Point, enjoying the breathtaking views of the Juneau Icefield and Tongass National Forest along the way. From there, you’ll board an airboat for a unique adventure on the river, where you’ll experience up-close views of the Taku Glacier.
*Unfortunately, the dog sledding camp on Mendenhall Glacier that these helicopter tours visit is closed for the summer of 2020. Those exciting excursions will have to wait for 2021!
Discover the Best Lodging in Juneau
As you explore Juneau and gain a new appreciation for Alaska’s stunningly vast wilderness, make a stay at the Silverbow Inn Hotel & Suites part of the experience. There’s nothing ordinary about the Silverbow Inn Hotel & Suites. With 12 comfortable guest rooms, abundant amenities, and exceptional hospitality all combined into one convenient downtown location, you’ll want for nothing during your stay with us.
Silverbow Inn Hotel & Suites is well-situated in the heart of downtown Juneau, and within walking distance to many of the town’s top attractions, restaurants, shops, hiking trails, and more. Our Inn is situated in a beautifully renovated historic building, and feature’s the city’s only rooftop hot tub (at least that we know of!). Our hotel is the perfect place to relax, unwind, and enjoy your downtime between adventures during your time here in Juneau. Book a room with us today!