If you’ve never had the opportunity to see Humpback or Orca whales in their natural habitat, then a Juneau whale watching tour needs to be added to your vacation itinerary. Not only is it one of the most magical feelings to see this large marine mammal appear on the surface; for some, it’s a life changing experience to be that close to such a beautiful force of nature. It’s also just wholesome family fun for the entire gang.
The best time-frame for Juneau whale watching is April to November when around 600 Humpbacks populate the waters of the Inside Passage. Orcas are also a common sight in the waterways outside Juneau, as well as sea lions and Bald Eagles. A Juneau whale watching tour is guaranteed to be a beautiful and eventful outing on the sea. Most tours average about 3-4 hours and include some fun perks.
As you’re planning your Alaskan adventure, our downtown Juneau Hotel is the ideal location to make your home base. Each day you’ll set out on a Juneau whale watching tour (or a similar experience) and be delighted to end the day with us at our luxury Inn and Suites. Each of our 12 guest rooms are unique—we have some rooms designed for a family-friendly vacation while others fit for a romantic getaway or business travel. Check out our accommodations and book today!
Bask in the Splendor on these Juneau Whale Watching Tours
There are so many Juneau whale watching tours to choose from, that it can be overwhelming to pick which one is best for you. We’ve narrowed it down here for you with a focus on the tours that offer a more unique take on the whale watching experience. There’s a mix of high-end luxury tours and traditional tours with a twist. No matter the tour, Juneau whale watching is one of the most exciting things you’ll do in Alaska.
- Allen Marine Tours has a large selection of Juneau whale watching tours to choose from, but perhaps the most romantic option is its Evening Whale Quest that includes appetizers, desserts and beverages. On this almost four-hour tour, they guarantee that you will see some whale action, which sounds even more magical at dusk.
- Juneau Whale Watch has an adults only tour called Ales & Whales and includes a stop at the renowned Alaskan Brewery (they also offer other Juneau whale watching tours that are all ages). Enjoy a two hours on the open deck watching for the graceful Humpbacks and other marine wildlife. After the boat ride, they drive you up to the brewery for a four beer tasting flight with time to chill and order food if you so choose.
- Alaska Luxury Tours offers a Luxury Whale Watch tour on a sweet Mercedes land yacht. Part of the package includes door-to-door transportation, so they’ll pick you up right from the front door of our downtown Juneau Hotel. Aboard the yacht, you’ll sip champagne or coffee and nibble on cheese and charcuterie while keeping watch for breaching Humpbacks. Each master captain is also a naturalist, so they’ll be sharing their knowledge.
- Alaska Sea to Shore, is a small, family-owned business, they offer a 4-hour whale watching tour gliding around the islands of Auke Bay just north of Juneau. Their little boat is designed to float right up to shore, allowing guests a bit of time to explore the beach. They encourage groups of up to six people of all ages to come aboard.
- Harv & Marv’s Juneau whale watching tours take you by the Mendenhall Glacier during your search for the giant sea mammals. They have boats that can accommodate up to 18 people, so if you’re traveling in a larger group, this could be the best pick.
- Adventure Bound Alaska combines whale and wildlife viewing with the exploration of Tracy Arm Fjord about 45 minutes South of Juneau. You’ll not only most likely get to spot Humpbacks, but you’ll get an up close and personal look at the Sawyer Glacier as the ice calves and crumbles into the sea water.
Our Boutique Hotel is the Best Lodging in Downtown Juneau
Juneau whale watching tours are one of the biggest draws to our area. When you book a room at our downtown Juneau hotel, you’ll come to find that this city has a lot more to offer than just beautiful surroundings. Juneau has become quite the hub of culinary delights, breweries, distilleries and historic architecture. Juneau is extremely walkable and our boutique hotel is a great starting spot to explore the city.
Our guest suites are designed with comfort in mind. We’re a family-run business through and through, and we believe that just because you’re traveling with kids shouldn’t mean you have to compromise on elegance. Each of our modern rooms fits a different footprint—some feel like an urban apartment, perfect for longer stays with the whole crew in tow, while others have that romantic, luxury vibe, best for a couples getaway or some solo time. Book a room at the Silverbow Inn and Suites today!