With so many incredible hiking trails and seemingly endless wilderness surrounding downtown Juneau, it probably doesn’t come as a surprise that there are some pretty great mountain biking trails in the Juneau area. In fact, the city is truly bike-friendly for all kinds of cyclists, and there are plenty of great routes to try. From short and easy to long and technically challenging, the mountain biking trails near downtown Juneau are anything but boring.
They’re easier than ever to access, too, when you stay with us at our boutique hotel in downtown Juneau. The Silverbow Inn Hotel & Suites offers an incomparable lodging experience in downtown Juneau. Our hotel is located in a beautifully renovated historic building, offering comfortable accommodations and an extensive array of amenities. Moreover, we’re within walking distance to all of downtown Juneau’s top attractions, shopping, restaurants, and more.
Experience the difference we make in your stay. Book your room at our downtown Juneau hotel today!
5 Great Mountain Biking Trails Near Downtown Juneau
Biking is actually a really great way to see Juneau. There are even bike routes that will take you right from our hotel in downtown Juneau to Mendenhall Glacier, where you’ll find even more incredible trails to explore, either by foot or on a bike. There are also plenty of bike rentals available in town, and we’d be happy to help you arrange for this!
There are several great mountain biking trails in the area, but 5 of them are pretty close to downtown Juneau and offer a beautiful and exciting way to get out and see the area. Here are some of the top mountain biking trails to consider near downtown Juneau:
- Perseverance Trail. This trail is our top recommendation when it comes to hiking and mountain biking near downtown Juneau. It’s an incredible trail network and can be accessed right from downtown Juneau. This 6.5-mile trail was once a footpath used by the indigenous people and was later one of the first “roads” in the state. This trail also follows an old railway that once serviced the mine here. You’ll enjoy great views of the Gold River and mountains from here, and it also connects up to more trails for an extended adventure.
- Dredge Lake Loop Trail. This trail is a pretty easy one and a good place to take your kids on a ride if they’re on vacation with you. The area is beautiful and also connects up to other trails in the Mendenhall Glacier here. Be on the lookout for beavers here. They love to make dams along the lake.
- Treadwell Ditch Trail. This mountain biking trail gets its name from the Treadwell Mine complex, which used to operate here. The trail network is 14-miles long and can be accessed from E Street. You’ll end up very near the Eaglecrest Ski Area on Douglas Island, which actually has even more miles of mountain biking trails to enjoy. The ride is a beautiful one through pines and other conifers, along with a section of rare old-growth rainforest.
- East Glacier Trail. This trail isn’t very long, at only 2.8 miles, but it’s one of many in the Mendenhall Glacier area. It’s a great one if you’re short on time or want a quick ride through some beautiful scenery. It makes some pretty good elevation gain, though, and includes plenty of switchbacks for some technical riding. You’ll end with a magnificent view of Mendenhall Glacier.
- The Eaglecrest Ski Area has recently completed more mountain biking trails, making this an exceptional destination for avid bikers – especially if you connect to other popular biking trails on Douglas Island.
The Best Hotel in Downtown Juneau
There’s no doubt that your legs will be tired after a long day on the mountain biking trails near downtown Juneau. Imagine enjoying a relaxing soak in a hot tub with stunning rooftop views of downtown Juneau and its surrounding mountains. That’s exactly what you’ll find at the Silverbow Inn Hotel & Suites, and it’s just one of the many great reasons to stay with us!
Once you’ve soaked away any tension you may be feeling, enjoy dinner next door at In Bocca al Lupo, one of Juneau’s top restaurants, before continuing your relaxing journey in one of our 16 guest rooms. Your stay comes complete with all the amenities you could need while on vacation. In the morning, we’ll greet you with a fresh and healthy breakfast before sending you out for another days’ adventure in Juneau.
Alaska’s wilderness is waiting! Book your room at our downtown Juneau hotel today!