When planning a trip to Alaska, one usually focuses on destinations like Anchorage or Juneau. Did you ever consider a destination like Yakutat, Alaska? Though Juneau is one of southeast Alaska’s most popular destinations, there are plenty of other small towns worth visiting while you’re here. In just over one hour, you can be exploring the stunning wilderness of this hidden gem.
Yakutat, Alaska is located on the scenic Gulf Coast of Alaska and is surrounded by Wrangell-St. Elias National Park and Tongass National Forest. For those who are attracted to a wide variety of outdoor activities, there are plenty of opportunities for you. Take advantage of hiking beaches, floating rivers, exploring bays and passages, climbing mountains, viewing glaciers, and even surfing remote breaks.
The Silverbow Inn Hotel and Suites is a luxury boutique hotel located in the heart of downtown Juneau. Our location is the perfect launching site for you to head out on your adventure to Yakutat, Alaska. Take advantage of our beautiful rooftop hot tubs after a long day of exploring and sip on some delicious wine with your loved one. Let us take care of all your needs this year. Book your stay with us today!
Top 10 things to do in Yakutat, Alaska
Yakutat, Alaska truly is one of southeast Alaska’s hidden gems. This small community is surrounded by a vast untouched wilderness area ready to be explored. There are daily flights from Juneau to Yakutat, so getting to this fabulous location could not be easier. If you would like a more leisurely mode of transportation, ferry services typically run during the Spring, Summer, and Fall.
There are many adventurous activities to explore, and you will not be disappointed. This year, here are just a few fun ideas and things to do in Yakutat, Alaska.
- Mount St. Elias: This Mountain stands at 18,008 feet and is the second tallest peak in the United States. Take a small aircraft tour with Wrangell Mountain Air to explore this immense beauty. This beath-taking tour will take approximately 120 minutes. For experienced climbers, there are guided expeditions through St. Elias Alpine Guides. This remote summit offers experienced climbers a world-class mountaineering challenge.
- Hubbard Glacier-Hubbard Glacier is a glacier located in Wrangell–St. Elias National Park and Preserve. This impressive glacier is more than six miles wide where it meets the ocean. This glacier has been active in the past, having had two significant surges in the past 30 years. Those surges were big enough to cross the bay, turning the fjord into a lake and threatening to flood the coastal town of Yakutat. Yakutat Charters has a fabulous 5-hour private boat tour for you and your guests.
- Fishing-There is no shortage of world-class fishing in Yakutat, Alaska. Yakutat Charters will help you explore a glacier and find some fantastic fishing. The fishing grounds are only minutes out of the harbor, targeting Halibut, Ling Cod, King Salmon, Silver Salmon, Red Snapper, Black Bass, rockfish, and the infamous Sand Shark. Peak fishing seasons are Jun 15 – July 15 & Aug 15 – Sept 15.
- Hiking-There are several popular hikes to be found in Yakutat, Alaska. While in Yakutat, experience Mountain Lake Trail, Harlequin Lake Trail, Russell Fiord Trail, Situk Lake Trail, Situk River Trail, Maggie John (Lower Situk) Trail, Fish Train Trail, and Totem Trail. These trails have a relatively level terrain and an elevation gain of fewer than 100 feet. The trails range from less than 1-mile to more than 8 miles. Most of these beautiful trails are moose and bear habitats.
- Kayaking-Explore the many islands that surround Yakutat Bay via kayak or cast a few fishing lines in the splendid waters of Yakutat, Alaska. Icy Bay is another popular destination for kayaking. Access to Icy Bay is restricted to small bush planes only, so many parties use collapsible kayaks. Expedition Alaska has available sea kayak tours.
- Surfing-There are miles and miles of pristine beaches to explore. More importantly, Yakutat, Alaska, is home to some of the best surfing waves in the world. Waves can reach 25-feet! Yakutat even has a surf shop, Icy Waves, to support the surfers that travel to this region.
- Viewing Wildlife-There is so much wildlife found in Alaska and this area is certainly no exception. Yakutat, Alaska is also bear country, and one of the best ways to explore this remote environment is a guided trip down the Situk River with a river guide or an inner island cruise where sightings of sea mammals and bears are common.
- Bird Watching-For those avid bird watchers, The United States Department of Agriculture has a Yakutat, Alaska area Birding Guide for your use. There are more than 200 species of birds that live in or fly through this area each year.
- Tongass National Forest-The Tongass is the nation’s largest national forest and covers most of Southeast Alaska, surrounding the famous, Inside Passage, and offers unique opportunities to view eagles, bears, spawning salmon, and the breath-taking vistas of Alaska.
Yakutat Tern Festival- For the past ten years, this celebrated festival has been a staple for Yakutat. Festivities are typically held at the end of May/First of June. This event is a celebration of the extraordinary natural and cultural resources of Yakutat, Alaska, and is fitting for all age groups.
The Best Place to Stay in Southeast Alaska
After your day trip to Yakutat, Alaska, you can be sure to unwind at our luxury hotel. Consider us your home away from home. Our downtown Juneau hotel offers plenty of comfortable accommodations, and as always, upscale amenities and exceptional hospitality. You’ll want for nothing during your time here. It won’t take you long to see why we’re ranked as one of the best places to stay in Southeast Alaska!
Our complimentary breakfast is perfect for filling you up before heading out on your adventure. Our breakfast is always made fresh for you daily, starting at 7 am. Indulge and take advantage of our afternoon snacks and lovely hot cocoa bar before retreating to the rooftop for a soak in one of our exceptional rooftop hot tubs. Our Hotel is sure to exceed your expectations! Book with us today!