There is so much to see and do in Southeast Alaska, including the incredible capital city of Juneau, where our hotel is located. Juneau itself is an incredible town to visit, with world-famous attractions such as Mendenhall Glacier, the Tracy Arm Fjord, and the Mt. Robers Tramway.
While we love Juneau and think it’s an extraordinary place to visit, there are a number of other great areas in the vast wilderness of southeast Alaska that are also worth visiting. And, to get to most of them, you have to pass through Juneau either via plane or boat.
The Best Destinations in Southeast Alaska
While we certainly hope your trip to southeast Alaska starts and ends at our hotel, there are so many incredible areas in this part of Alaska worth exploring.
There are thousands of islands in what is known as the Alexander Archipelago. Navigate it via the state ferry, hop on a small cruise that departs Juneau, or book flights to get from one destination to the next.
All of the towns of southeast Alaska are special in their own right, but here are 6 incredible destinations that should top any bucket list for people visiting Alaska and looking to experience the stunningly authentic wilderness we have at our fingertips.
- Glacier Bay National Park is easily one of the most popular attractions in southeast Alaska and is a mind-blowingly beautiful and vast wilderness area worth seeing at least once in your life.
- Yakutat, which is best reached by plane from Juneau, has become a popular destination for surfing! It’s also home to the Hubbard Glacier, which is the longest tidewater glacier in the world.
- Cordova, a small town located near the mouth of the Copper River – the same Copper River that is world-famous for its salmon – can only be reached by air. It’s absolutely beautiful, home to some delicious seafood, and has also become famous for the annual Copper River Delta Shorebird Festival that takes place here every year.
- Admiralty Island is world-famous and offers the best chance to get up close to wild bears in Alaska. It’s home to Pack Creek Bear Viewing Area, which is the best place to see coastal-dwelling, salmon-feeding black bears in their natural habitat.
- Feel the gold-fever in Skagway, which is located at the northernmost point of Alaska’s Inside Passage. Here, you’ll find a town whose streets are lined with wooden boardwalks and restored buildings, looking much as they did over 100 years ago. While you’re here, get a handle on history at the Klondike Gold Rush National Historical Park Museum.
- Sitka, the original capital in Alaska (when it was owned by Russia), is an absolutely beautiful destination worth visiting. As with most towns in southeast Alaska, Sitka offers plenty of wonderful hiking, fishing, kayaking, wildlife viewing, and stunning natural beauty. Sitka is the ancestral home to the Tlingit, a community whose legacy is intertwined into the culture of Sitka today.
The Best Hotel in Juneau
Southeast Alaska is, without a doubt, one of the most beautiful regions in the world. Most of the incredible destinations we’ve highlighted here, like the famed Glacier Bay National Park or the remote shores of Yakutat, can only be reached by air or by boat, much like the capital city of Juneau itself. We recommend combining visits to these far off worlds with a few days in the incredible city of Juneau, where you’ll enjoy the comforts of home at our boutique hotel.
Though there are a number of hotels and other lodging properties in the Juneau area, none of them come close to matching the comfort and hospitality of Silverbow Inn Hotel & Suites. Our Juneau Hotel is situated in downtown Juneau, close to a variety of hiking trails, the Mt. Roberts Tram, local restaurants and breweries, museums, the State Capital, and even Mendenhall Glacier. We offer more than just a great location, though. Your stay at our hotel also includes a free breakfast, and every modern convenience you could possibly need during your time with us.
One visit to Juneau and these incredible destinations in southeast Alaska won’t be enough, either. You’ll be left with an insatiable appetite for this incredible region, and for each and every return visit to southeast Alaska, our hotel will be here waiting. Book your trip to these incredible destinations in southeast Alaska today!