Some of the best glaciers in Alaska are truly the most vibrant shade of icy blue and it delights visitors from all over the world. For tourists coming from a warmer part of the globe, these glaciers are a must-see attraction and can feel as exotic as the clear blue waters of tropical areas.
Others are landlocked between snowcapped mountains surrounded by dark water, these are also some of the best glaciers in Alaska to visit to fully be a part of the diverse terrain and beauty that Alaska has to offer. Locals don’t shy away from visiting these glaciers all year round, in fact, glaciers are best viewed under an overcast sky. The bright sun detracts from the beauty of nature’s own ice sculptures.
Some of these incredible glaciers are very close to downtown Juneau, which puts our Juneau Hotel at the perfect starting location for your vacation that includes visiting the best glaciers in Alaska. For the glacier tours that are a bit further out into the rugged terrain of Alaska, we can help you plan the best day trips that end back downtown at our luxury Juneau Hotel, the Silverbow Inn Hotel and Suites. Start your tour of the best glaciers in Alaska by booking your room with us today.
Visit these 5 Best Glaciers in Alaska for 2021
- Mendenhall Glacier: Only 12 miles from our downtown Juneau Hotel, the Mendenhall Glacier is not only one of the best glaciers in Alaska to visit this year, but it’s also probably the most famous of the bunch. It also happens to be the most accessible. The Mendenhall Glacier Visitor Center is the place to start, especially if you’re interested in the history of the area and about the ecosystems that surround the Glacier. Hike through a moist rainforest or stick to the shores of Mendenhall Lake, plan on checking out Nugget Falls, a larger than life cascading waterfall.
- The Sawyer Glaciers: This pair of Alaskan glaciers are a part of the Tracy Arm Fjord about 45 miles south of Juneau. This area is only accessed by boat, but there are plenty of ways to arrange for a full round trip day-tour and we’d be happy to help you plan your visit out to one (two?) of the best glaciers in Alaska. Huge chunks of ice drop from these glaciers, forming icebergs right before your eyes, and it’s as loud as a cannon blast as the pieces fall into the water.
- Taku Glacier: As a massive landmark, Taku makes the list as one of the best glaciers in Alaska to visit because it’s the deepest and thickest ever discovered. It makes up a big part of the Juneau Icefields. It’s an adventure to get there, only reached by helicopter and then airboat which brings you right up close to the glacier. You’ll be ready to jump in the hot tub at our downtown Juneau Hotel after this chilly tour in the fresh Alaskan air.
- Herbert Glacier: This glacier can be reached by a few means: on foot by a relatively easy 5-mile hike, a helicopter tour, or a glacial dog sledding expedition. Now wouldn’t that be crossing something off of the bucket list? The parks department warns visitors to avoid getting too close to the glacier, as falling ice can be very dangerous.
- Lemon Creek Glacier: Only about 5 miles from downtown Juneau, if you’re feeling brave and up for a challenging hike you can make it here by foot, but a safer bet would be a flightseeing tour. Seaplane rides are a comfortable way to take in the gorgeous, rugged scenery and local wildlife.
Come Warm Up at Our Downtown Juneau Hotel After Visiting the Best Glaciers in Alaska
We hope that as you plan your adventure visiting the best glaciers in Alaska, you’ll make our Downtown Juneau Hotel your home away from home. As a family-run business, we know the importance of feeling comfort and nourishment while out of town and exploring new areas. That shows in our attention to detail in all of our 12 modern guest rooms and in our healthy organic breakfast served every morning.
Downtown Juneau has so much to offer, and at the Silverbow Inn, you’ll be within walking distance from the bulk of it. There are great restaurants, breweries, and galleries, all surrounded by the expansive mountains and gorgeous Alaskan scenery. At our Downtown Juneau Hotel, we’re still taking every precaution to make your stay safe and comfortable. We know that a visit to the best glaciers in Alaska will make lasting memories, as will a stay with us. Book your room at our Juneau Hotel today!