One of the most popular attractions in downtown Juneau is a ride on the Mount Roberts Tramway. For 25 years this aerial tram system has been lifting visitors 1,800 feet up to the summit of Mount Roberts. The quick ride (only about six minutes) offers guests some of the most stunning and expansive views of Juneau, Douglas Island, and the Gastineau Channel. It’s truly a magical and unforgettable site.
As you climb to the top of the 3,819 foot mountain you’ll see the vast and beautiful wilderness of our area. Once to the top, there’s more to experience, you can head out on miles of wooded trails, explore the nature center and gift shop, learn more about the Tlingit people at the theater, and dine on traditional Alaskan cuisine at Timberline restaurant. You can make a trip on the Mount Roberts Tramway last all day long.
When you stay at our downtown Juneau boutique hotel, you’ll only be a 10 minute walk from the pick up point for the Mount Roberts Tramway. Our location is ideal for any adventure in the city or for your daytime excursions out exploring the waterways, glaciers, and nature reserves. The Silverbow Inn and Suites is family-friendly lodging with luxurious touches and amenities.
Take in the Gorgeous Views from the Mount Roberts Tramway
The Mount Roberts Tramway is an activity you won’t want to miss on your trip to Juneau. Luckily, there’s so much more to explore once you’re up on the mountain, so you can make a full day of it. Allow us to fill you in on all the details of what you can experience at this unique attraction.
Here are six things to know before you take off at the Mount Roberts Tramway:
- The majority of visitors who ride the Mount Roberts Tramway plan on hiking once they arrive at the Nature Center. Three main trails weave through the rain forest, each appropriate for different hiking abilities, but on all the routes you’ll walk under 200 foot tall trees, see meadows of wildflowers, and be immersed in the beauty of Mount Roberts.
- The Timberline restaurant is not your run of the mill dining experience, this is the definition of destination dining. With sweeping views from the big windows or open air patio, you’ll be in awe of the scenery. The food will impress as well, with a large selection of seafood-focused appetizers and entrees. Try traditional Alaskan dishes like fry-bread tacos or blackened halibut.
- Stop by the Chilkat Theater to learn more about the Tlingit culture. You’ll be privy to an award-winning short film, given a quick lesson in the Tlingit language, and observe native artists creating their works, from small carvings of ivory and silver to full scale cedar totem poles.
- The Nature Center is the ideal first stop for families arriving from the Mount Roberts Tramway. You’ll encounter interactive displays, exhibits, and a gift shop for nature-oriented books and souvenirs. Grab a complimentary cup of cider to enjoy while you peruse the sights.
- Another educational stop after the ride up on the Mount Roberts Tramway is the non-profit Raptor Center. The Juneau Raptor Center takes in more than 200 injured or sick Raptors and other bird species each year, nursing them back to health with the goal of returning them to the wild.
- The Mount Roberts Tramway is the most vertical tramway in the whole world! The quick ride ascends 1,800 feet in just under six minutes with a narrated tour of the sights of Juneau and beyond.
More Stunning Views from Our Amazing Rooftop Hot Tub
Continue your day after a ride on the Mount Roberts Tramway with even more beautiful vistas from our rooftop deck. Our pristine hot tub is the perfect spot to rest your tired muscles from a long day hiking on the mountain. The communal rooftop area is also a great spot for a drink at sunset or a place to grab a quiet moment in the fresh Alaskan air. It’s one of our favorite spots and love to share it with our guests.
Our elegant guest rooms have everything you need for an extended stay with family or for business trips. Many rooms have fully equipped kitchenettes, though you’ll always want to join us each morning down in the lobby for our complimentary and thoughtfully prepared breakfast. In the afternoon, we always bring out the sweets, with a colorful candy bar and hot chocolate and cookie happy hour. Start planning your next vacation to Juneau and book with us today!