There is an incredible number of fun things to do in Juneau, and each summer hundreds of thousands of tourists descend upon the city to enjoy the wide-open wilderness and breathtakingly beautiful scenery that only Alaska can provide. If you’re looking for that once-in-a-lifetime trip to Alaska, this is it. And, of course, there’s nowhere better to stay than our #1-rated downtown Juneau hotel.
Whether you’re coming to take a luxury Alaska Dream Cruise, enjoy a helicopter tour over the vast wilderness surrounding us, hike the famous Mendenhall Glacier, to get up close and personal with wildlife, or even attend to business in the city, there’s no better place to stay than our downtown Juneau hotel. We offer 12 comfortable guest rooms right in the heart of downtown Juneau, where you’re free to explore all of the best things to do in Juneau.
With small crowds and plenty of open spaces to roam, there’s never been a better time to visit Alaska. Book your room at our downtown Juneau hotel today!
Discover the 15 Best Things to do in Juneau This Summer
Juneau, Alaska’s capital city, is located in the Gastineau Chanel on Alaska’s panhandle. It’s a popular stop for cruise boats, but there is so much more to Juneau that what you’ll see on a cruise. When it comes to things to do in Juneau, there’s truly no limit.
Like much of Alaska, Juneau is a destination for adventurers and is the perfect destination for those seeking a combination of once-in-a-lifetime experiences and breathtaking scenery. From hiking, biking, and kayaking, to scenic flights over glaciers and getting up close to Alaska’s wildlife, there certainly is no shortage of things to do in Juneau.
While the natural surroundings of Juneau are indeed spectacular, don’t miss out on your chance to explore our vibrant downtown, too. Though it’s Alaska’s third-largest city, Juneau still enjoys a small-town vibe and plenty of local character that is worth exploring. Juneau is a diverse city, with a rich history and plenty of art, music, and Native heritage.
With so many things to do in Juneau and beautiful places to explore, you’ll want to spend at least a few days here! Get started on your planning with these to unbelievable things to do in Juneau.
Get Outdoors in Juneau
- Of all the things to do in Juneau, there’s nothing more popular than a visit to the famous Mendenhall Glacier, which is the only glacier in southeast Alaska that’s accessible by road. Whether you want to hike the glacier, explore the ice caves (professional guides are needed), or just witness nature’s majestic beauty, there are plenty of viewpoints and things to do up there.
- Take the short 2-mile (roundtrip) hike to Nugget Falls. It’s an easy walk, and there’s a beach in front of the falls where you can step back, admire the beauty, and snap a photo. Don’t forget to admire a different and up-close view of the Mendenhall Glacier while you’re here, too!
- Taking a ride up to the top of Mt. Robers via the Mt. Roberts Tram (which is closed for the 2020 season) is another of the most popular things to do in Juneau, but we think the hike to the top is a far better way to experience the area. It’s a 3-mile trail and will take you between 2 – 3 hours to get to the top. Once there, the view of Juneau and the Gastineau Chanel from up there is absolutely breathtaking.
- Given that there are actually no roads into Juneau, taking a scenic drive might come as a surprising suggestion of things to do in Juneau. There is one road worth taking, though, and it’s the 42-mile stretch of Glacier Highway (Route 7). Along the way, make a stop at Eagle Beach, and enjoy the sight of bald eagles in their natural habitat. Watching these graceful birds soar through the sky never gets old, and is made even more magical when you visit at low tide, as this is your best chance to see these graceful birds in action as they fish the tidal flats.
- Get out in the wilderness, and head to Admiralty Island National Monument. There’s approximately 1 brown bear per square mile here, so it’s your best chance at seeing some of Alaska’s most famous wildlife.
- Take a small boat tour through the Tracy Arm Fjord, which offers an unparalleled opportunity to view the area’s scenery and wildlife. The inlet is narrow, and the cliffs rise to upwards of 3,000 feet above you at points along the way. Trips down this incredible waterway are often rewarded by sightings of eagles, seals, bears, and whales.
- Take a helicopter or flightseeing (small plane) tour over the glaciers and vast wilderness of Juneau. Floatplanes leave from downtown Juneau’s harbor, which is walkable from our Inn.
- Take a hike in the area. There are plenty to choose from that are accessible from our Inn, but some of our favorites include the Perseverance Trail, Granite Creek Trail, Mount Juneau Trail, and of course the Mt. Roberts Trail. The Dan Moller Trail on Douglas Island is also a great trail to take and offers great views and beautiful wildflowers. Another great place to see wildflowers is the Mendenhall River Trail (Kaxdigoowu Heen Dei).
- Go ziplining through the tree canopy of Douglas Island with Alaska Zipline Adventures. There are 5 ziplines and a suspension bridge in the area, and you’ll feel truly immersed in the beauty of Alaska.
- There are plenty of amazing kayaking opportunities in Juneau, including heading out on the tranquil waters of Mendenhall Lake and getting up-close views of the mighty Mendenhall Glacier.
Things to do in Downtown Juneau
- Enjoy getting to know the history of our town and the state of Alaska at the Alaska State Museum in downtown Juneau.
- For great craft beer downtown, head to Devil’s Club Brewing Company, which is just 2 blocks from our Inn. You should also make your way to the Alaskan Brewery and Bottling Center, though it’s not strictly in downtown Juneau. There’s a storefront downtown, and from there you can get a shuttle out to the bottling center, where you’ll have the chance to sample craft beers that aren’t available to the general public.
- Get to know Juneau’s beautiful Native cultures at Sealaska Heritage’s Walter Soboleff Building, which contains Alaska’s largest collection of Southeast Alaska Native art.
- Enjoy a meal (or several) at downtown Juneau’s top restaurants, including In Bocca al Lupo next door to the Silverbow Inn Hotel & Suites. Eating there is, without a doubt, one of our favorite things to do in Juneau. Other local favorites to try this summer include the Alaska Fish & Chips Company, Tracy’s Crab Shack, and The Hangar on the Wharf.
- Take a walking tour of downtown Juneau, and get to know this rugged yet charming town as you explore the area’s history and culture. The tour includes some of our favorite things to do in Juneau, including visiting the docks, old saloons such as the Red Dog Saloon, a number of historic buildings and churches, the Alaska Capitol, and the Governor’s House, among others.
Best Place to Stay in Downtown Juneau
While you’re enjoying all of these great things to do in Juneau, you may as well stay in the heart of it all. The Silverbow Inn Hotel & Suites is the best choice for lodging in downtown Juneau. Our Inn is cozy and offers comfortable guest rooms that will be a welcome respite after a long day enjoying all of these amazing things to do in Juneau.
In the lobby, you’ll find a warm fireplace, couches, books, games, and a regular selection of coffee, tea, cocoa, and snacks that are available around the clock. In the evening, unwind and reward your tired muscles with a soak on our rooftop hot tub, all the while continuing the soak in the beautiful mountain views of Juneau.
The fun never stops here, and a stay at our Juneau hotel is at the center of it all. Book your room at our incredible hotel today!