The Tracy Arm Fjord lies about 45 miles south of downtown Juneau and is only accessed via boat or float plane, making the “getting there” aspect all part of the adventure, but well worth the effort. The term “fjord” means a long, narrow deep water inlet surrounded by towering cliffs and the Tracy Arm Fjord is a stunning example. You’ll also be privy to one-of-kind 1,000 foot waterfalls, floating glaciers, marine and terrestrial wildlife, and snow-topped mountains.
While the Mendenhall Glacier might be considered the more popular tourist attraction near Juneau, Tracy Arm Fjord is by far the superior hidden gem, due to its size, remote location, and undisturbed scenery. When it comes to extreme tourism, a visit to Tracy Arm Fjord checks off all the boxes and will be a memorable part to any vacation to Alaska. Whether by small cruise or by air, we can help you plan your trek.
The Silverbow Inn and Suites, the only downtown Juneau boutique hotel, is the perfect place to start your adventure to Tracy Arm Fjord and all that Alaska has to offer. We’re centrally located to many of the areas attractions, and after a long, beautiful day out exploring, you’ll be so relieved to come back to our comfortable and cozy guest rooms, common areas, and rooftop deck. Start planning your downtown Juneau adventure and book with us today!
Your Definitive Guide to Exploring the Tracy Arm Fjord
For one of the most spectacular views of your life, you’ll want to start planning your excursion out to Tracy Arm Fjord. Best explored by private charter, small luxury cruises, or by air, we’ll give you the details on where to start and even help you book your tours when you stay with us. Let the exciting adventure begin!
Here are 7 things to know about Tracy Arm Fjord before you go:
- On your visit out to Tracy Arm, the Sawyer Glaciers are known as the crown jewel of the trip. The sapphire blue of these tidewater glaciers is breathtaking. Calving ice from the steep cliff sides can create quite the sensation for on-lookers, visitors often note the loud crash as the ice hits the water, and you might even feel a ripple effect as intense waves rock the boat.
- This area is best explored by small boat cruises, as the larger ships are unable to navigate the waters speckled with icebergs of all shapes and sizes. There are lots of small fist size pieces of ice, while chunks as big as a three-story building have been recorded. It’s almost like a museum on the water of living art filled with unique floating ice-sculptures!
- Wildlife viewing is impressive up in these remote parts of the world. Pods of Orcas, porpoise, or Humpback whales are not a rare sight. You’ll catch Black Bears navigating the shores, mountain goats traversing the rocky slopes, eagles soaring overhead, and a plethora of seals and pups lounging and sunning themselves on ice.
- The surroundings here are astounding from 1,000 foot water falls, forested canyons, mountain peaks, and crisp fresh air. Every turn you’ll find a photo op for vacation pictures that your friends and family will be fascinated to see.
- Our suggestion for a day-trip on the water is with Adventure Bound Alaska with the Tracy Arm Fjord Boat Tour. The full day cruises depart from downtown Juneau (only two blocks from our Inn) on the 56 foot Adventure Bound or the 65 foot Captain Cook sailing vessels equipped for these Alaskan waters. Heated cabins, food and beverages are available for purchase, and years of experience guarantee a smooth ride.
- For an adventure by air, Alaska Seaplanes will fly you over Alaska’s glacial Yosemite for an incredible hour and half tour. These tours depart from the Juneau International Airport, just 15 minutes from downtown Juneau and will create a lasting memory of soaring over the Tracy Arm Fjord on your trip.
- Private chartered tours are always the most luxurious option for an excursion in Alaska. Specialized trips could add even more adventurous angles to your tour, as the truly brave explore these glacial waters by kayak.
The Best Downtown Juneau Lodging for an Alaskan Getaway
One big perk on a stay at our Downtown Juneau Hotel is our location to the docks and tour departure areas. This might not sound like such an important detail, but imagine finishing a long day hiking in the Alaskan wilderness and then adding on another journey to trek back to your lodging. When you stay with us, your arrival back to Juneau, practically puts you right in your cozy suite, with a show on Netflix, and a glass of wine.
After a full day out on the water, spend the next exploring downtown Juneau. Our Inn is located within more than 20 amazing restaurants, breweries, distilleries, and local shops. Allow us to take care of breakfast with French press coffee, hearty entrees, and baked treats—exactly what you’ll need before a fun day out in Alaska’s capitol city. We’re looking forward to hosting your next vacation, book today!