Our Downtown Juneau Hotel
- Juneau Downtown Business Association – Current Board President
- Travel Juneau – Board Member
- Alaska’s Top 40 Under 40 (2007) – Winner
- Juneau Economic Development Council – Past Board Member
- Juneau Jewish Community – Member
- Perseverance Theater – Past Board Member
- 10KSB Entrepreneurial Studies – Scholarship Recipient
- Listen to Jill’s Mudrooms Presentation here
Your Hosts: Jill & Ken
Gus Messerschmidt was a German immigrant who founded the San Francisco Bakery here in 1902. It is the oldest continuously operating bakery in the state of Alaska.
The property is comprised of four separate buildings that have been added over a 110 year period. The current restaurant, In Bocca al Lupo, has a wood-fired oven near where the original oven was located over 100 years ago. It has been owned by only three families, all of whom raised their kids in the building. Gus and four generations of his family lived here until the 1980’s when the building was sold and the upstairs apartments were converted to a small hotel.
In 1997 the present owners took over and built the legendary Silverbow Bagel Bakery, which operated from 1997 to 2015. This building currently operates as a lovingly restored twelve room boutique hotel, an Italian restaurant, and a family apartment for the owners.
Thank you for choosing to stay in this special place that is an important part of Juneau’s history.